The Lifestyle Change You’re Looking For
Low-cost living, abundant recreation
HERE’S AN INTERESTING FACT. Rural Pend Oreille County in the northeastern corner of Washington is one of the most wired locales in the entire nation, thanks to a $34 million, state-of-the-art fiber-optic network that provides gigabit-speed Internet for businesses, telecommuters and residents.
Combine that with home costs literally a fraction of big metro areas and friendly rural communities rich in outdoor recreation, and Pend Oreille County offers a rare opportunity for those who want to live a “high tech, high rec” lifestyle. Why not live and work where you love to play? We call it Lifestyle 2.0!
LIVING & WORKING HERE
If you’re considering a lifestyle move, consider these facts about Pend Oreille County.
- WHAT A LOCATION! Situated amid mountains, lakes, and rivers, our outdoor recreation is just out the door. But less than 60 minutes south is Spokane, a progressive city with terrific dining, arts, and entertainment.
- REAL ESTATE AND HOUSING ARE A BARGAIN compared to most metropolitan areas, where comparable homes cost as much as double!
- FIBER OPTIC INTERNET. Funded with rural development grants, the Pend Oreille Public Utility District has installed 33,000 strand miles of high-speed network over 400 square miles of the county. The service provides 100 megabit minimum speeds in homes, and 10 gigabytes or better for businesses, with no data limits.
- TERRIFIC AIRPORT ACCESS. We’re little more than an hour from Spokane International Airport. Frequent travelers truly love this airport for its easy in-and-out, with direct flights to more than a dozen cities and connections worldwide.
- LOW ENERGY COSTS. With hydroelectric plants around the region, including right in the county, businesses and residents enjoy some of the lowest electricity costs in the country.
- STELLAR SCHOOLS & FRIENDLY TOWNS. Our highly ranked schools have student-teacher ratios averaging just 16:1. As for our great small towns: Newport, the county seat, has a population of little more than 2,000. Rush hour traffic? Nope. Moose wandering through town? Yeah, that happens.
Explore our website to learn more. Better yet, use the form at right to contact us right now for more information. We’d love to hear from you!
We talk about “high rec” because outdoor recreation is at the heart of our lifestyle. The Colville National Forest and other public lands provide rich recreational opportunity highlighted by the Selkirk Mountains sweeping down from Canada and the Pend Oreille River flowing the length of the county north. That’s not to mention scores of other lakes, streams and landscapes for all types of outdoor pursuits.
Browse 100-plus photos from our recent photo contest. Got a question about life here? We’d love to hear from you, via our form or contact info at right.
Check out more videos from around Pend Oreille County in our video gallery»
The Pend Oreille lifestyle
Our downloadable media kit in multiple file formats provides a terrific synopsis of facts, figures and stories about living and working in Pend Oreille County. Click to get it:
Better yet, get in touch!
Pend Oreille County EDC
301 W. Spruce Street
Newport, WA 99156